Learning, networking, conference and employment opportunities in cultural property, art crime research, antiquities trafficking research, provenance studies, and related things. Postings are not endorsements.
Please let me know of any opportunities to announce.
Be sure to sign up for the Opportunities List.
1. The Market for Biblical Antiquities 1852–2022, Conference, Online
“Join us as scholars from a variety of fields (history, biblical studies, archaeology, papyrology, literature, and more) look at the complex network of figures – finders, dealers, agents, collectors, consultants, auction houses, forgers – that have worked together to buy and sell artifacts from Palestine, Israel, and the surrounding region for the last two centuries.”
When: 9–10 March 2022
2. Research Specialist, Pre-Hispanic Art Provenance Initiative, Job, California
The Getty is seeking to hire a limited term, full time research specialist to work on provenance initiatives related to Pre-Hispanic Art. In another life, this is what I would do all day… Whoever gets this job, email me! Let’s collaborate!
When: Apply ASAP
Where: The Getty Research Institute, Malibu, California
Pay: $63,587.68 – $82,675.84
3. PhD Funding for criminology/law projects related to art and cultural heritage crime, Maastricht, Netherlands
The Maastricht University Faculty of Law is, once again, accepting PhD proposals for NINE fully funded PhD positions, and I am able to support one candidate for these. Do you have an idea for a project? Have a look at the important info on this link.
When: Proposals before 2 April
Where: Maastricht University Facutly of Law, The Netherlands
Cost: Full funding with pay
4. Studies in Art, Heritage, Law and the Market (Springer), Call for Book Proposals
Are you pondering writing a monograph or editing a volume on something that relates to art, heritage, law, and/or the art market? Do consider submitting a proposal to our new Springer series. Details here.
5. USA vs Art Thieves: True Tales from the FBI’s Real Indiana Jones, Lecture Series, Ohio
The Medici Museum of Art is hosting this lecture series by former FBI agent Robert K. Wittman
When: 6 April, 4 May, 1 June 2022
Where: The Medici Museum of Art, Warren, OH, USA
6. Rose Valland, The Art Spy, film and panel, online
The Sousa Mendes foundation is hosting this panel event and viewing of Brigitte Chevet’s film about Rose Valland.
When: 20 February 2022
Cost: Suggested donation, $18
7. Assets 2022, Conference of the International Society of Appraisers, Online
Several of the talks in this conference of are likely of interests, including one entitled “Fraud and Chicanery”.
When: 26–27 March 2022
Cost: $275/$350 depending on membership
8. Heritage in War and Peace: Legal and Political Perspectives for Future Protection: call for abstracts
The editors of this volume for Springer are looking for book chapters on this interesting topic. If you work in this area take a look.
When: Abstracts by 28 February 2022
9. La tutela penale dei beni culturali nella prospettiva della riforma, Conference, Milan
An conference in Italian focused on the criminal law and penal aspects of the illicit trade in cultural goods.
When: 10 March 2022, 14:30–19:00 PM
Where: Aula Pio XI, Largo Gemelli, 1 Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Milano
More Info: https://asgp.unicatt.it/asgp-2022-la-tutela-penale-dei-beni-culturali-nella-prospettiva-di-riforma