Learning, networking, conference and employment opportunities in cultural property, art crime research, antiquities trafficking research, provenance studies, and related things. Postings are not endorsements.
Please let me know of any opportunities to announce.
Be sure to sign up for the Opportunities List.
1. Illicit Antiquities, Call for papers
Cogent Social Sciences welcomes submissions to a special collection on ‘Illicit Antiquities’ edited by Dr Sam Hardy.
When: 1 September 2016 submission deadline
2. PhD Studentship, “Private collecting, public philanthropy and the art market in the public art museum in Britain and France 1830-1900”, University of Leeds
A spectacular, fully funded PhD opportunity for those into the history of collection and the build up the modern museum. Open to UK/EU applicants.
When: Application due 31 May.
Where: University of Leeds
3. Treasure Trove Unit Finds Day, Event, Glasgow
The public is invited to bring any Scottish finds of archaeological or historic material to the Kelvingrove Museum for registry with the Treasure Trove Unit.
When: 9 July 2016, 11:00 AM–3:00 PM
Where: The Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery, Glasgow
4. Prevention of the destruction of cultural heritage and illicit trafficking of cultural property in countries of origin, Meeting, UN New York
Very little information about what seems to be a closed meeting with regard to this issue. More information may be available via UNESCO.
When: 27 May 2016
Where: UN Headquarters, New York
More Info: http://www.unesco.org/new/en/media-services/single-view/news/curbing_the_illicit_trafficking_of_cultural_property_focusing_on_countries_of_transition_and_the_application_of_criminal_justice/
5. Antiquities at risk: North Africa and the Middle East, Talk and Discussion, Leicester
An evening programme focused on the LAaR project and recent events related to heritage protection in Libya.
When: 9 May 2016, 16:30–19:30 PM
Where: New Walk Museum and Art Gallery, 53 New Walk, Leicester