Learning, networking, conference and employment opportunities in cultural property, art crime research, antiquities trafficking research, provenance studies, and related things. Postings are not endorsements.
Be sure to sign up for the Opportunities List.
1. Antiquities Trafficking Analyst, Job, New York City
Join the crack antiquities crime fighting team in the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office. Bogdanos’ team are responsible for all of the high-profile returns and convictions you’ve seen in the news. Note: this is an opportunity for people with *prior* permission to work in the USA, they don’t support visas/green cards.
When: Apply ASAP, like right now
Where: The New York County District Attorney’s Office (DANY), New York
Pay: $54,281 – $57,159
2. Senior Analyst (cultural property and antiquities trafficking), Job, Washington DC
The State Department Cultural Heritage Center is looking for a senior analyst to join their team working on the illicit trade in art, antiquities, and cultural property.
When: Apply ASAP
Where: Washington D.C.
Cost: Salary $110,000
3. Researching antiquities collections through auction catalogues: potential and pitfalls, Conference, London
A varied and interesting set of papers in this workshop: a topic that deserves much discussion.
When: 22 September 2023
Where: Institute of Classical Studies, London
More Info: https://ics.sas.ac.uk/events/researching-antiquities-collections-through-auction-catalogues-potential-and-pitfalls
4. Professorship for Art Historical Provenance Research, Bonn, Germany
This is an entry level (W1) professorial position that will focus on art provenance. Description in both German and English so they may accept non-German speakers.
When: Apply by 17 September 2023
Where: Universität Bonn
5. Diploma in Law and Collections Management, Course, London
Run by the Institute of Art and Law, ‘The programme focuses on the practical and pragmatic use of legal tools to improve the running and development of museums, their collections and their collaborative exhibition programmes.”
When: 9–13 October 2023
Where: 240 Blackfriars Rd, Bankside, London, SE1 8NW
Cost: £1,800.00, 10% discount for IAL members
6. “Kunstschutz” im Ersten Weltkrieg und die Historiographien zu Kunst und Kultur in der ersten Hälfte des 20. Jahrhunderts. Akteure – Netzwerke – Konzepte, Conference CFP, Frankfurt
If you would like to contribute to this conference, the organisers are asking for abstracts and a short CV. The contributions will be published by De Gruyter.
When: Abstracts by 30 September 2023
Where: Frankfurt (Oder), Germany
7. Executive course in Art and Law, Course, Florence, Italy
Held in English with Italian simultaneous translation, this course boasts a strong line up of Art Law folks to provide an executive overview of Art Law
When: 26–28 October 2023
Where: Via delle Pandette, 35, 50127, Florence
8. Art Transportation in Times of War and Peace, Call for Abstracts, Berlin and Online
“The conference aims to bring together scholars, researchers, curators, restorers, artists, (museum) experts, registrars and practitioners to explore on a global scale issues surrounding “how” transportation of art, artifacts, and cultural heritage is planned, supported and finally carried out, as well as all specific aspects around moving art during situations of war and peace.”
When: Abstracts by 15 September 2023
More Info: https://www.artmarketstudies.org/cfp-art-transportation-in-times-of-war-and-peace-online-forum-kunst-markt-centre-for-art-market-studies-tu-berlin-9-10-nov-2023/
9. Art Heists: Inside the FBI’s Pursuit of Stolen Masterpieces, Talk, Las Vegas and online
A talk by former FBI special agent Robert Wittman.
When: 6 September 2023
Where: The Mob Museum, 300 Stewart Avenue, Las Vegas
Cost: $29.95/$16.95/Free for Museum Members or with Museum Admission
More Info: https://themobmuseum.org/events-posts/art-heists-inside-the-fbis-pursuit-of-stolen-masterpieces/
10. Workshop on Countering the Trafficking of Cultural Property with a Focus on Documentary Heritage, Workshop, Doha
An interesting regional multi-day workshop, including special training for customs officers. English and Arabic translation. Please email for more details.
When: 12–14 September 2023
Where: Qatar National Library, Doha