Learning, networking, conference and employment opportunities in cultural property, art crime research, antiquities trafficking research, provenance studies, and related things. Postings are not endorsements.
Be sure to sign up for the Opportunities List.
Special Announcement: “Affective Atmosphere in an Art Fair Jewel Heist”, a paper about the TEFAF jewel heist by Diāna Bērziņa and me is out now FREE and OPEN ACCESS in the European Journal on Criminal Policy and Research. Read it here: https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10610-023-09549-7
1. 9th Annual Repatriation Conference, Oklahoma and Online
Sponsored by the American Association on Indian Affairs, this conference invites attendees and speakers on topics related to repatriation, NAGPRA, etc.
When: Presentation proposals by 16 July, Conference 7–9 November
Where: Hosted by the Citizen Potawatomi Nation at the Grand Resort & Hotel in Shawnee, Oklahoma and Online
2. Program Director (Aliph Foundation), Job, Geneva
The program director will lead a team of 6 project managers and needs expertise on, among other things, “the fight against illicit trafficking of cultural property”. Perfect fluency in both English and French required.
When: Apply ASAP
Where: ALIPH, Geneva, Switzerland
Cost: Pay unknown
3. London Calling: Nazi-era Restitution from the 1943 ‘London Declaration’ to the Washington Principles and Beyond, Webinar
An online roundtable discussion hosted by Christie’s
When: 20 June 2023
4. Provenance of V&A South Asian Collections, Doctoral Placement (internship), London
The V&A is inviting current PhDs for a doctoral placement related to the provenance of South Asian objects.
When: Apply by 23 June 2023
Where: Victoria & Albert Museum, London
Cost: Unfunded placement
5. Research Assistant for Provenance Research, Job, Dahlem, Germany
The Central Archive of the Berlin State Museums seeks a provenance researcher; must have the ability to read old German script.
When: Apply by 29 June 2023
Where: Das Zentralarchiv der Staatlichen Museen zu Berlin (SMB)
6. Preventing and Remedying Wrongdoings in the Art Market: Which Legal Tools?, Conference, Online and Milan
The UNESCO Chair on Business Integrity and Crime Prevention in Art and Antiquities Market is hosting this conference
When: 6 July 2023
Where: Palazzo Visconti, Via Cino del Duca n. 8, Milano, and Online
7. Beyond Restitution: What happens to cultural objects after their return?, Event, London and Online
“This hybrid event will present some of the key findings of our project entitled ‘Beyond Restitution: Exploring the Story of Cultural Objects After Their Repatriation’.”
When: 3 July 2023
Where: BIICL, Charles Clore House, 17 Russell Sq London WC1B 5JP and Online