Learning, networking, conference and employment opportunities in cultural property, art crime research, antiquities trafficking research, provenance studies, and related things. Postings are not endorsements. Please let me know of any opportunities to announce.
In this week’s email:
Learning, networking, conference and employment opportunities in cultural property, art crime research, antiquities trafficking research, provenance studies, and related things. Postings are not endorsements.
Please let me know of any opportunities to announce.
Be sure to sign up for the Opportunities List.
1. Threat and Trends: The Traffic and Illicit Trade of Cultural Property for Terrorist Purposes, Round Table, Online
“The United Nations Counter-Terrorism Committee Executive Directorate (CTED) is hosting a virtual roundtable discussion on the traffic and illicit trade of cultural property for terrorist purposes.”
When: 7 September 2022; register by 6 September.
More Info: https://www.un.org/securitycouncil/ctc/news/cted-hold-virtual-roundtable-%E2%80%9Cthreat-and-trends-illicit-traffic-cultural-property-terrorist
2. Art, Antiquities and Financial Crime Risk, Webinar, Online
the Antiquities Coalition is hosting this webinar
When: 27 September 2022
3. Provenance Researcher, Job, Munich
The Five Continents Museum is looking for a full time provenance research with a good knowledge of German colonial history. You likely have to be a German speaker and they want someone who has good knowledge of French and English.
When: Apply by 18 September 2022
Where: Museum Fünf Kontinente, Munich
Pay: Salary group 13
4. Cultural Heritage, Crime, and Security, Course, Online
The American University of Rome and UNICRI have partnered to give this online course
When: Apply by 23 October 2022; course 7–11 October
Cost: 800 Euro
5. Tenure Track Assistant Professorship in Critical Museum and Heritage Studies, Job, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn, Germany
For someone who got their PhD in the past 4 years, German language at this point may be optional: “A research focus on colonial history and collections, application of decolonial methods, and experience in curating exhibitions and/or programming public engagement are desirable.”
When: Apply by 15 September 2022
Where: Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität Bonn
6. Interdisciplinary work attribution and provenance research, Course (Certificate of Advanced Studies), Bern, Switzerland
This course (in German and English) is aimed at professionals and masters students from related fields (incluing you law folks).
When: Register by 15 September
Where: Bern University of the Arts, Switzerland
Cost: CHF 5650.00
7. Rescuing Priceless Treasures, Lecture Series, Online
Robert Wittman, founder of the FBI’s Art Crime Team, will be hosting this series of lectures related to crime and art.
When: 8–29 September 2022, 6:30 to 8:30 PM
8. Les Arts au Prisme de la Décolonisation: De la recherche en provenance aux approches collaboratives, Conference, Neuchâtel, Switzerland
An interesting and diverse programme around this theme
When: 15 and 16 September 2022
Where: Various sites around Neuchâtel
9. Senior Analyst (Cultural Property), Job, Washington DC
This position is in/with the State Department supporting the Cultural Property Advisory Committee towards research related to cultural property memorandums of understanding. It is for someone with expertise in looting and trafficking etc.
When: Apply ASAP
Where: Washington DC
Cost: Pay Unknown
10. Benin. Looted History, Exhibition, Hamburg, Germany
“In addition to informing on the British colonial war and the current restitution debate, the show offers different perspectives on the original meaning of the objects, their outstanding artistic quality, and their significance for African art and cultural history.”
When: Up now
Where: Museum am Rothenbaum Kulturen und Künste der Welt, Hamburg, Germany
Cost: Normal admission charge to museum
11. Terezín Declaration Conference, Conference, Prague
“The aim of the conference is to take another significant step in future Holocaust remembrance”, which includes a session on looted art
When: 2–4 November 2022
Where: Czernin Palace, Prague, Czech Republic
Cost: Free, but you may need to contact for an invite
12. UK HEI Research Fellowship (Cultural Heritage Protection), Funding, UK
This is to fund international early-career researchers from ODA countries to work in the UK and UK education institutions, IROs, and some UK not-profits can apply. Note the focus needs to be on the Middle East, North Africa, or Sub-Saharan Africa.
When: Apply by 26 September 2022.
Where: United Kingdom
Funds: 45,000 GBP total is available
13. Editor Role: Cultural Heritage for Inclusive Growth Essay Collection, Tender
The British Council wants to do an edited volume related to essays they have commissioned on this topic and pilot projects in Colombia, Kenya, and Vietnam. They are looking for people to tender to publish these as a coherent collection. Is that you? Maybe!
When: Request documents by 3 October 2022
14. What Works International Cultural Heritage Protection: Peer and Collaborative Learning Programme, Tender Opportunity, UK
“We are seeking Supplier proposals to design, develop, manage and deliver a new peer and collaborative learning programme exploring What Works in Cultural Heritage Protection.” Is that you?
When: Apply by 13 October 2022
Where: The British Council
Funds: The total inclusive budget for this work is £140,000 over a period of 22 months, from November 2022 until August 2024 including VAT.