Learning, networking, conference and employment opportunities in cultural property, art crime research, antiquities trafficking research, provenance studies, and related things. Postings are not endorsements.
Be sure to sign up for the Opportunities List.
1. Cambodia, North Macedonia, and Uzbekistan MoUs, Comments Request and Online Public Session, US Department of State
The US Department of State’s Cultural Property Advisory Committee is requesting public comments on the proposed cultural property agreements and extensions. Also there will be an open public online session that all are invited to attend.
When: Comments by 23 January. Online session 30 January.
Where: Online and Washington DC.
2. Underwriter II Fine Art, Job, California, Seattle, Denver, Chicago, Other
AXA XL has a number of underwriting positions open for someone wishing to work in the area of Fine Art insurance. If that’s you, I’ve linked to one of them but search their career website for more.
When: Apply ASAP
Where: Various Locations
Cost: Pay ranges: $99,000 – $149,000 and $118,500 – $177,500
3. The Image of the Art Market. Just What Is It that Makes the Art Trade Look so Different, so Alarming?, CFP
“This publication [an edited volume] aims to provide a comprehensive study of the image of the art market, its players, and their self-fashioning. Particular attention will be given to the broad range of media produced in this context.”
When: Abstracts by 19 February, fulls submission date 1 October
More Info: https://www.artmarketstudies.org/cfp-edited-volume-the-image-of-the-art-market-just-what-is-it-that-makes-the-art-trade-look-so-different-so-alarming/
4. Reflecting on Restitution: 25 Years of the Washington Principles on Nazi Confiscated Art, Exhibition and Events, Paris
Christies is holding a series of events honouring the Washington Principles in locations around Europe, starting with an exhibition in Paris.
When: Exhibition: 27 January to 10 February 2023
Where: Christie’s galleries on Avenue Matignon, Paris
5. Museums and Collections in Australasia Panel (Mediterranean Archaeology Australasian Research Community Meeting), Call for Papers, Australia/Online
As part of the third annual meeting of MAARC, the Museums and Collections in Australasia panel is seeking “6-10 x 5 minute presentations on a ‘problem object’ that relates to the theme: Fakes, copies, restoration, and authenticity”. Up to 9 panel papers responding to specific questions on provenance, community, definitions, and covid-related interpretation problems (see website for specific questions) are also being sought.
When: Panel held 13-15 February 2023, submit papers and proposals ASAP.
6. Loss and gain: researching object histories and uncovering contexts of injustice: Provenance Research in Saxony, Conference, Leipzig
The Dresden State Art Collections – Saxon State Office for Museums in cooperation with the Stadtgeschichtliches Museum Leipzig are hosting this conference which will be in German.
When: 30 January 2023
Where: City History Museum Leipzig – Old Stock Exchange, Naschmarkt 2, 04109 Leipzig
7. Libraries in the time of war, Conference, Online
Hosted by Uppsala University, this conference will focus on: “The history and legacy of libraries during wartime; Curatorial efforts to save collections from plunder and destruction; The legacy of conflict, including institutional ownership of stolen or looted cultural heritage; and Legal complications regarding the restitution of cultural heritage”
When: 16 March 2023
More Info: https://libcal.ub.uu.se/event/3958865
8. Heritage at War: Plan and Prepare, Conference, London (also live stream and recorded)
‘Heritage at War: Plan and Prepare’ will bring together voices from Europe, the US, Africa, and Asia to explore how lessons learned from past experiences of conflict can inform our approaches to the safeguarding of cultural heritage today. ‘
When: 28 February 2023
Where: Lydia and Manfred Gorvy Lecture Theatre, The Victoria and Albert Museum, South Kensington, London.